Saturday, July 6, 2013

She's back!!!

One of my dearest friends in the whole wide world has returned! She and her husband moved out of the country about 3 1/2 years ago. And when they returned, they brought 2 kids with them -- she's a mom!

Strange, but normal. The word for this experience has been surreal.

You see, we've skyped over these past couple of years. Instead of weekly girls' nights, it's been about a monthly catch-up. And because of the time zone difference, I've mainly met her girls when they're getting ready for bed. But major life events have been shared. We weren't shocked with the news that she is a mom, but it was strange to see my dear friend, looking like she always did, with a  baby strapped onto her. And it was HER baby.



We've only gotten to spend a few hours together so far.  But I've realized all the little things I've missed and am so thankful to get to catch up on...

like holding her oldest on my lap while she takes all the stickers out of the book and puts them on my arms instead of the sticker pages. But she then corrects this by taking all the stickers off my arms and putting them on the pages.

holding her baby in my arms and having those baby fingers wrap around my finger

walking through a Target and shopping and feeling like nothing has changed

watching her oldest's facial expression when she hears thunder for the first time. She made a startled expression but then resumed her climb on the playground.

laughing about the randomest things and realizing a computer screen isn't separating the conversation

getting to talk on the phone with her (and plan triple dates)

getting hugs from her oldest before she goes down for her nap. The first hug she backed into me so it was a chest to back hug. The second hug was a more normal one complete with arms around neck.

making silly faces with the baby and getting smiles in return.


I am so glad she is back! I have missed her so much!  I can't wait to catch up more and enjoy the little, everyday parts of friendship that can't be captured over a computer screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment