Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Graduation Celebration - Last Port of Call

Today we visited our last port - Grand Cayman. Initally we had all planned on taking a bus to one of the beaches, but as it turned out, we were all pretty beached out. And as lame as this might sound, excursions aren't always relaxing - be somewhere at this time, follow someone else's schedule, get back to the drop off point at this time. Mind you, they tend to be a lot of fun and you get to see cool places, but after 3 days of visiting, most of us were ready just to relax. Days at sea are fun on the ship and we only had one day left.

All that to say, Sean and I had no excursion planned. We ate breakfast, lounged around for a bit and took pictures of the island. It's a skinny island and from the boat you can see the other side of the island and its water. Then we decided to take the tender to the island. Another lame point - I enjoy having to take tenders to the ports. You get to see the beautiful water up close and the colors just don't disappoint. It took about 10 minutes on the boat to make it to Grand Cayman and then it was time to hit up the shops. We walked around the shops inside the pier and then decided to venture out. Overall, Belize was the worst when it came to selling you stuff. Cozumel just offered us a lot of taxis. Here in Georgetown, Grand Cayman it wasn't that bad. We went to get our free charms to go on our free charm bracelet. One of the charms was a cowboy boot. We weren't quite sure how that fit into the Grand Cayman theme and the saleswoman didn't know either. Another store now offered 1/2 carat stones in a necklace (with the option to buy matching earrings for $10) and there were 2 in this port. We wandered into a real jewelry store where the saleswoman tried to get us to buy some nice things. I learned that I have nice taste - if you want the most expensive piece in any set, just ask me to come. I didn't like feeling pressured to buy and didn't want to spend that much, so we left. I like costume jewelry just fine. I wound up with 2 pairs of earrings for $1 each and a ring that is the natural stone of Grand Cayman for $10. We wound up walking past the place where we had gone snorkeling before and seen a sea turtle, so naturally we got a picture. We also took a picture with a sting ray fountain. We meandered into a craft market where a man was selling coconuts. We bought one and I drank coconut water straight from the coconut. My coconut was leaking so I had to drink fast. Then you bring your coconut back to the man and he chops it using a machete so you can eat the white, meaty part. Sean definitely took advantage of that photographic moment. We then started walking back to the pier. Being the sentimentalist that I am, I was saddened to realize that the next time I touched land, it would be in los Estados Unidos.

While waiting for the tender to head back to the ship, the captain threw some food over-board and suddenly a whole host of fish appeared. I didn't see any with another fish head in its mouth like I did in Honduras, however, but it was nice to see all the different types. The water was so beautiful.

We made it back to the boat, ate a late lunch and, per our norm, we went to watch whatever movie was playing/take a nap. Then it was time for dinner and the song/dance that the waiters perform at the end of dinner. I always got pulled to the dance line due to my proximity, but this time, after being pulled up, I went and grabbed Mackenzie. She played shy until Grandma (aka Sean's mom) came up and started dancing with us. We then went to the comedy show, strolled around on the docks and went to bed at the oh late hour of 10pm. It was a great day and I was sad that vacation was almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment