And this schedule is packed with projects and homework assignments and reading to do! Thus my absence.
We started our first "real" week of class this week. The first week, while still busy, still had introductory components to it. This week did not, which has led me to the conclusion that the grown up work schedule is crazy!
I am, however, very excited about one of the classes we're taking (I'm just sad that they put it in the shortest semester we have in the program): PEDIATRICS!
Finally, after 4 years of undergrad and a year and a semester of grad school, I get to take a class on something I want to be. Our teacher is a big believer in letting us see actual patients with the diagnoses and letting us touch them and move them. After last week of going over normal developmental milestones, she brought in 11 babies and children. We were grouped into 3s and then we waited for the children to arrive. Two of our professors were bringing in their babies and my group got one of them (it made me a little nervous). I'm more accustomed to babysitting where I take your baby and make nice and play, but I don't have the parents watching me. Not the case here. The little baby is also his first child which also explains the protectiveness. It was fun to see the "parent" side of our professors.
We played with her for about an hour and then she was done. She went back to daddy and didn't make another appearance until we had to present her: her reflexes, what she can do in each position and then the biggy, how old we think she is.
After yesterday's class I don't think I want to work solely with babies. They're cute and have a personality to an extent, but I want more of that relationship with the kiddos. I will still probably have to treat a couple of babies, but I would prefer that they be older kiddos (at least 2) for the majority.
Back to homework now. My classmates and I are excited about Labor Day but we all will be doing homework. We really know how to party, can't you tell?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One of our PTs brought a group from UCF through NICU on Thursday and I thought of you :)
ReplyDelete