Thursday, October 28, 2010

White Coat Ceremony

Since the moment I've started the physical therapy program, there have been 2 big events I've been anticipating: graduation at the end of 3 years and our white coat ceremony, which was 1 1/2 years in.

I am now 1 1/2 years into the program. I no longer have to deal with dead bodies like the first years but these past couple of semesters I've been taught how to treat real, living people. And now I get to demonstrate my knowledge starting on Monday when I go on my first clinical.

Before I and the rest of my classmates head out for experiential learning, we are given our white coats! They represent the professionalism of the field and our desire as a profession to become autonomous, doctors in our own right. While I know that I will only wear my white coat 1 more time - for pictures to go on the PT wall - and then hang it back up, that doesn't halt my excitement.

We had to arrive an hour early to ensure we all were on time and could alphabetize ourselves and that our names were pronounced correctly. With the name change from the wedding, mine doesn't present any challenges or desire for people to add in syllables like they did with my maiden name. When we walk over to the room, one of the professors had a slide show of pictures from integrations class when we all had to be patients and looked kinda strange. The Director of the Program spoke to start and it seemed like we were back in anatomy or neurology, but then it was time for us to get our coats!

One professor called our names and the director put our coats on (I struggled getting one arm in, but recovered quickly). They're quite snazy looking with the UCF emblem and PT on one side. When I graduate, I get to put Dr. Dixon on the other side! We then had a guest speaker, a former graduate of the program who encouraged us to continue life long learning and that the baton was soon to be passed to us when we graduated. PT emmies were handed out for best clinician and best patient and then it was over. Time for a class picture and then to head back to our classrooms to show our parents around.

Both sets of my grandparents and my parents and of course, my husband, were there to celebrate with me! I am so excited to have this piece of clothing to add to my wardrobe! At least I have a Halloween costume if I need one :)

Now to finish up some last minute details before I head out to the hospital on Monday for clinicals. I need to get scrubs and take these 3 online modules about professionalism and then I will be done with the busy work and enjoy these next 4 days off. I'm nervous about starting on Monday; I don't know if I have the stamina for a 40 hour work week.

No comments:

Post a Comment