I was thinking yesterday of how PT school has changed me, like ...
I can now handle raw meat. Before entering the program, raw chicken was my worst enemy: slimy and cold, there was no way I was going to touch it. However, after removing muscles with a scalpel, sawing through a human skull, holding a heart and having CSF shot into my hair, I have now conquered this problem. I now relate the animal parts to the human when it's time to prepare dinner.
Prior to school, I had some personal space issues - I had a huge bubble and was not a fan of having it popped. Yesterday, in preparing for a practicum, we were assessing hip mobility. One of our techniques involved the PT's hand on the butt bone (ischial tuberosity) and pelvis. I happened to be the patient while we were debating the technique and had 3 different guys touch my butt. Personal bubble is now evaporated!
I have now developed a lip tremor. Practicums can be trying at times and how do I respond to stress: tears. Problem is: crying is not professional in front of professors so in an effort not to break down in front of my professor, my lip apparently decided to have a tremor. New addition.
I have learned what a battle it is to have confidence. The first 3 and a half weeks of my clinical were truly a battle, a battle of character, a lesson from God. While I never questioned whether or not I wanted to be a PT, I questioned whether I would pass my clinical and if graduation would be delayed because of it. But I learned how to be confident and that hopefully is a skill I won't forget.
I have seen death for the first time. Fortunately in my personal family, I have only been to one funeral and it was unexpected. On my clinical one of my favorite patients quickly digressed. I will never forget his face coming back from one of his treatments and just knowing that he was dying. It is a look I will never forget.
I've grown up a lot in these past 2 years. I can't actually believe it's been 2 years and that I only have 1 more year left.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment