Monday, March 1, 2010

Failure

I would like to start this by saying that I do not mean to be boastful or bragging or rude.

With that said, I will now continue:

School has always been something that I have succeeded in. Academics were my strong suit. I could always pride myself on my academic success and lack of failure with these pursuits. (I had some Bs and sadly a C in my undergrad career, but big picture wise, it was a success).

PT school, however, has taught me about failure, about nerves taking over, about the need to demonstrate physical knowledge over book knowledge and how 100%, while always desired, is not always necessary. Some days, like today, just passing without having to do a retake is fine. I only hope tomorrow goes like that as well and Wednesday too.

I would love to have As, but my perfectionistic nature has been squelched. No longer am I the girl who would put a sock on her hand and smooth down the papers I had just glued on a poster board so it would be perfect and smooth. I need to know my stuff and be able to demonstrate it. And if I don't do it perfectly, that's ok. I just want to pass. And if I don't pass, I retake and at least a B- is a 75 and I have a high enough GPA from the past 2 semesters to cover it.

So today I consider a success. I passed by the skin of my teeth and best of all, I was stuck on something and I didn't cry - that's a major success!

Maybe that's why the ridiculously priced DPT grad school tuition is worth it - I get some life lessons in as well. Of course it will all be worth it when I get to work with my kids and know that I have had a direct effect on their independence!

So yay for not failing, but for recognizing that it's ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment